Capacitive level switch Working Principle
Capacitive level switch know as capacitive point level detection also, the sensor and vessel form the two electrodes of a capacitor. Any capacitance change caused by a level change is converted into a switching signal.
When material is empty, electrical status of detecting electrode and grounding electrode is: resistance (Ro) is infinite, and capacitance (Co) will be specific capacitance value determined by installation status.
When the material is applied into a vessel, the electrode is filled (full status), resistance value and capacitance value between detecting electrode and grounding electrode changes to Rs and Cs. The switch captures this change and outputs.
Application of capacitive level switch
- Small tanks in hygienic applications
- Tanks with tough, pasty or strongly adhesive media
- Overflow protection, high/low-level detection, dry-run or pump protection in tanks
- Interface detection
- Detection of foam
- Blockage prevention
- Media recognition
Advantage of capacitive level switch
- The level switch can be installed in any position
- Fully insulated versions also measure aggressive liquids
- Low-cost point level detection for maintenance-free operation.
Proven and tested measuring principle – robust and safe
Universally adaptable probe
Reliable operation also in strong build-up formation and viscous media
Disadvantage of capacitive level switch
This is cannot measure continues level monitoring.
- Can be measured only one point.